Two prenatal visits—to prepare for birth and postpartum, unlimited email, phone and text support, on call for birth, attend birth, two postpartum visits to provide lactation and newborn care support, PMAD assessment and discussion, and process the birth.
- First prenatal: Everything included in the consultation package, plus discussion about how your doula will provide support to you and your partner, what you want from your doula at the birth, and photography options.
- Second prenatal: Discuss any new concerns; review birth plan and discuss care provider's comments; signs of labor starting; overview of stages of labor, what to expect in labor; what to expect postpartum- emotionally, physically, breastfeeding, newborn care, newborn behavior, any particular concerns; prepare a postpartum plan
- On Call for the Birth: Your doula will be available to you, 24/7 beginning approximately 38 weeks, although we will likely have no problem attending if you go into labor before this time. Yes, we really do get up at 2am to meet you in your home or at the hospital! You are always welcome to call with questions or concerns. We generally ask that you give us an hour to get to you in labor.
- Attend Birth: We will stay with you, providing support for as long as it takes to have your baby, and about an hour or so afterwards. We regularly spend 8 or more hours with a family, often as much as 12-24 hours. During this time we will provide encouragement, support with coping with contractions, massage, relaxation, visualization, suggestions for changing positions, help in making decisions about the medical management of the labor, support for the partner. We also often take pictures and may communicate with family members in the waiting area. After the birth, we help to settle the room, getting everyone something to eat, taking pictures, and help with the initial breastfeeding. Throughout labor we are available for whatever the laboring couple may need beyond medical needs, whether it be food, a cool washcloth, support for difficult decisions or help through the contractions. We support the family with whatever decisions are made, regardless of what our own choices or preferences may be.
- First postpartum (3-5 days postpartum): Primarily breastfeeding support; newborn care information as needed, emotional support, provide resources for any particular challenges.
- Second postpartum (approximately 3 weeks postpartum): Continued breastfeeding support, resource referral, and processing of birth. We'll also give you a timeline from the birth that will facilitate discussion as well as a copy of any photos we took for you. (possibly include help learning to bathe your baby or use slings, wraps etc.)