DONA Approved Postpartum Doula Training
April 17-20, 2015 Longmont, CO
July 22-25, 2015 St. Paul, MN
Held at Enlightened Mama
"The past few mornings I have been awoken by <my son's> sweet little squawks and I have thought to myself "I don't know if I can do this/survive this." This morning I woke up after several nice stretches of sleep and did not feel that way at all <after your support through the night>. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support and nurturing. It makes such a difference."
Do you enjoy helping new mothers? Love babies? This workshop can prepare you to start a career as a postpartum doula, doing what you already love!
A postpartum doula provides emotional support, newborn care instruction, breastfeeding support and practical household support in the early postpartum period. This 32 hour (8am-5pm, approx), 4 day course course will cover what you need to know to get started in your postpartum doula practice, including:
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Doula Support with Breastfeeding
- Effective Communication and Emotional Support
- Integrating the Baby-- Changing Roles
- Loss and Grief in Postpartum
- Multiples and Preemies
- DONA Certification Requirements
- Business Basics, including Setting Up Your Business, Marketing and Expenses Tracking
- Postpartum Physical Changes
- Newborn Care
- Doula as Teacher
- Rehearsal of Learned Skills and More!
Melinda's teaching style is experiential and highly interactive, drawing on the experience and skills of all the students throughout the class. You will have opportunity to polish your listening skills, get to know various baby carriers and role play difficult situations. You will learn when to refer out to other care providers, and get started on your resource list. Melinda has been training postpartum doulas for 5 years, and supporting postpartum families for ten. She is a Lead Instructor at the Simkin Center at Bastyr University.
For questions or payment by check call:
Melinda Ferguson, CD(DONA), PCD(DONA), PDT(DONA) 425-876-5049
Longmont, CO, April: Registration Closed, CLASS FULL
Cancellation and Transfer Policy: Class registration may be cancelled and fees refunded, up to one month prior to scheduled first day of class minus a $50 non refundable fee. Registration may be transferred to another participant as late as one week prior to class with no penalty. In the event that there is an insufficient number of registered students to hold class, all fees will be returned.
- Verify completion of a breastfeeding requirement. Submit documentation with completed certification application. Choose one:
- Proof of completion of lactation consultant, breastfeeding peer counselor or community breastfeeding educator training.
- Proof of completion of an on-line lactation study program. Options include:
- Proof of participation in a breastfeeding class or workshop: Submit a class outline and signed Breastfeeding Class Observation Form as documentation of attendance at a three hour (minimum) breastfeeding class taught by an educator with recognized breastfeeding credentials (IBCLC, CLE, CLC).
- Read at least one book from each of the following categories: "Becoming a Mother", "The Newborn", and "Breastfeeding" from the Postpartum Doula Required Reading List. (Postpartum Reading List)
More Information about DONA Certification, including complete requirement list: DONA Postpartum Certification
Bring a Postpartum Doula Training to You!
For more information, please contact me at 425-876-5049 or Melinda@CalmConfidentDoula.com
"Melinda really cares about her students. I feel better prepared to effectively serve my clients."
"I really loved the role playing!"
"Melinda is a qualified, capable professional who has a lot of "heart" in her work and teaching."
"The business aspects were very valuable!"